Free Awareness Ribbon Crochet Pattern

Awareness Ribbon Pattern

I did come up with this ribbon pattern, but I obviously don’t have any rights to the charities or organizations that the colors can sometimes mean. If you’d like to know more about what color ribbons are associated with which kind of awareness, (There are a lot and it’s neat!), then check out this wiki page!

I’ve decided to share this pattern for free, so if you share it with a friend I’d like for you to mention me and/or link it back to where they can find my site! Let me know whatcha think! Thanks!    ~Starling

Awareness ribbon 3 type

I use an F hook (3.75 MM) and either Red Heart yarn or Caron Simply Soft yarn.

With main color: Ch 26, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in next 9 ch. 2 sc in each of the next 5 ch, sc in the last 10 ch. Fasten off. If you’re wanting a more slender ribbon, you can stop here and cross the sc row in the way it naturally wants to bend to form a ribbon shape. Sew it in place with a yarn needle and weave in ends. If you want a border or a more pronounced ribbon, proceed to the next step.

Awareness ribbon no border

Cross the sc row in the way it naturally wants to bend to form a ribbon shape. With border color: Jn with a sl st in one of the top stitches of the ribbon. Ch 1, sc in the same st and around the border of the ribbon except for in the four bottom corners and the middle point where the ribbon crosses. Sl st in the two stitches in the middle up-side-down ‘V’ instead of sc and this will pull the ribbon into a better shape. Then to shape the corners of the ribbon squared rather than round, you’ll put 3 sc in each corner. Jn with a sl st in the first sc and fasten off. Weave in ends. (I use a yarn needle to weave in all the ends of my projects.)

Awareness ribbon border

Add a safety-pin to wear it on your clothing, or sew it into place in all kinds of creative places!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Free Awareness Ribbon Crochet Pattern

1. Mattie says:

SIDS is blue/pink do u know how I would do these?

• craftyghoul says:

Hmm..I would try making two seperate ribbons and putting them together, like one on the botton/one of top flat against one another, and twisting them slightly different than you normally would for the ribbons, and seeing if you can get it to work that way. I notice that the physics of that ribbon doesn’t seem to make sense, haha! If you look at the blue and follow it up the ribbon…it magically changes to pink down the opposite side…so it doesn’t look like it’s a ribbon with one side blue and one side pink. But mabye you can add an extra twist or something. If that doesn’t work, I’d just switch the colors as you go along, changing near the inside curve of the ribbon. If you just want to get both colors on the ribbon and aren’t too particular about the placement, then you can do one color on the inside and the border the other color like in the first (pink/white) ribbon in my picture.

2. Bobbie Muncy says:

Thank you for the pattern for an awareness ribbon. I have been looking for a pattern to put on my crocheted potholders for a fundraiser for Relay for Life. I am so excited that I can use the various colors that represent the various types of cancer…Again, thank you!

3. Christine Pearson says:

I’m going to do black with grey trim for melanoma that has spread to brain. Then put them on top of toes of your slipper pattern. Ty so very much.

4. Marshay says:

Thank you for he pattern. I’m making them for our Relay for Life crafe booth.

5. Kirsty says:

Thank you for the pattern I plan on making them in purple for epilepsy awareness month(November)

6. Jaime says:

Thank you so much for this pattern. I am part of Team Superhero – a Relay for Life team in Vermont and we do two huge events (Dance Away Cancer – DAC, and Kids Dance Away Cancer) in our hometown to help raise money for the American Cancer Society. I was hoping to make some items to donate to our events this year and needed a pattern for a ribbon. This will work beautifully as an applique for the hats I am making. Thank you!

7. Sue Yaddow says:

Thank you for the pattern. Two of my sisters are breast cancer survivors. We are doing relay for life this year and these will be a great fundraiser item.

8. Barbara Kapitan says:

Thank you for this pattern. I am making a hat for childhood cancer awareness. I will post a link to this website when I show off my hat. I know lots of people will ask where I got the pattern from. ; )